This year in addition to our Petoberfest anniversary celebration will we be starting the day with Paris’ first ever Bark For Life event. This is going to be a very special morning and we would hope that you will all join us with your dog and help us raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society. I will be walking with team Amelia Biscuit and I am very excited for this event because many of my friends are coming to join us. I will keep you updated and if you would like to get involved just give us a shout:) Xo Ro
We started the search to find the best dog and cat foods available by looking to the shelves at our pet food store. We researched, we asked questions, and we collectively set out on a mission to find the top three companies we feel best serve the needs of our customers. Our first challenge was to decide on a criterion for selection. The staff at Amelia Biscuit Company sat down as a team and came up with five points for filtering the contenders. Our intention is not to label those pet foods not found on the list as bad, or to have customers be offended by our choices, this is simply a list to highlight the companies we feel are currently doing a little more for our customers than the rest. In creating this list we decided to look at the following factors:
- Nutrition and quality of ingredients
- Location of facility
- Value and price
- The human element and corporate structure of the company
- Customer service
#1Fromm Family Foods
Location: Mequon Wisconsin USA
Brands: Fromm Four Star, Fromm Gold, and Fromm Classic
Stellar Quality: You can feel good about supporting Fromm on both an emotional and product quality level.
Fromm Family Foods is a company that we can honestly say has been keeping the word “family” in more than just the name since 1904. Fromm Family Foods is still operated by the actual Fromm family and they support independent retailers (like us) with a level of commitment we have simply not experienced before. Since becoming a Fromm dealer we have noticed the great skin and coat benefits of suggesting the Fromm formulas to our customers. We actually have a little joke at our store that the secret ingredient in Fromm is HAPPINESS. The entire staff at the Amelia Biscuit retail store enjoys supporting Fromm, as Fromm represents the very same company values that we appreciate dearly in our own family business. It is for all of these practical and emotional reasons that we feel Fromm has earned the top spot on our list of greatness; simply put Fromm knocks us off the charts for all five points on our check list.
#2 Nutreco Canada
Location: St. Mary’s Ontario
Brands: Wholesome Blend, Wholesome Blend Grain Free, and Lifetime
Stellar Quality: Best value kibble in our store!
Nutreco is a very large-scale pet food manufacture and geographically speaking it is the closest pet food supplier to our retail store. If you are part of the “locavore” movement than this just might be the brand for you! Nutreco brands are some of the only pet foods manufactured in Canada that can also be labeled a certified “Product of Canada”. In order to be labeled a “Product of Canada” the government requires proof that 98% of your ingredients are sourced from Canada. Nutreco has the size and the volume to bring customers some of the best retail pricing we see in Canadian pet food today. The company offers three levels of products that help customers of any budget to access quality kibble that does not contain wheat, corn, or soy. Despite the size of this multinational corporation we are happy to report that they still function with a family style service and a farm kid feel.
#3 Petcurean Pet Nutrition
Company Headquarters: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Product manufacturing: Elmira, Ontario
Brands: Go!, Now Fresh, and Summit
Stellar Quality: Leaders in dog can cat food innovation and nutrition for the last decade.
Petcurean is constantly surprising the dog and cat world with exciting innovations in pet food and several companies (we won’t mention names) have followed on their coat tails. In fact, many of the pet food trends we see on the store shelves today started with great ideas originally presented to the world by Petcurean roughly 10 years ago. In our decade of being a dealer of Petcurean products we have found that Petcurean products offer great solutions for dogs and cats needing more specialized feeding to accommodate allergies or skin conditions. Petcurean uses only the finest ingredients available, and most recently they brought to market a line called “Now Fresh” which utilizes completely fresh meat (no meals) in all of the formulations. We feel confident that any customer can find what they are looking for in terms of budget and quality within the lines offered by Petcurean. As an added bonus the entire line of Petcurean products are manufactured in Elmira, Ontario. This means that they not only produce a great quality product but they also have a positive impact on our local economy!
Thank you and if you have any questions please feel free to drop in at our retail store. Amelia Biscuit Company has been in business for 10 years and is located at 48 Grand River St. North Paris, Ontario Canada.
I admit it… I am spoiled… and I know that not all dogs get as much fresh whole food as I do in my diet. Unlike most of my canine friends I don’t even have to wait for biscuits to arrive. I live in a wonderful biscuit world where treats are baked daily and I do my very best to take advantage of every begging moment. In every season I find myself craving the fresh ingredients our region has to offer; in the fall I will swear that pumpkin pie is my absolute favourite biscuit and then when summer rolls around I will probably proclaim that I can think of nothing better than the delicious taste of our blueberry butterfies. I guess you could say that my taste buds are always in the mood for FRESH regional ingredients baked into little pieces of biscuit heaven;) It really is a treat to live in a biscuit world that is just as obsessed with FRESH as I am!!! I definitely scored the best interning job in the dog biscuit world!!! On this snowy Ontario afternoon I find myself watching winter fade into the past and I cannot wait for the smell of berries and the fresh Ontario summer. Have a great day and make yourself something tasty today! XO Rosie
I present to you with the Amelia Biscuit Decade Pledge! We all sat down (Amelia, Sophie, Brian, Jen and myself) and decided that our decade year needed to come with a big announcement of how we plan to shake things up in the pet industry. So take a look and let us know what you think:) XO Rosie
AFTER A DECADE OF BISCUIT BAKING & RETAIL SERVICE WE ARE MAKING A PLEDGE TO OUR CUSTOMERS THAT IS REVOLUTIONARY. WE DON’T KNOW WHERE THE NEXT DECADE OF THE AMELIA DREAM WILL TAKE US, BUT WE DO KNOW THAT CUSTOMERS WITH A CURIOUS NATURE WILL WANT TO JOIN US FOR THIS EXCITING JOURNEY.
HERE IS OUR PLEDGE TO YOU…
- BUY LOCAL/CANADIAN: We promise that whenever possible we will purchase local or Canadian products for both our store and our bakery. In 2013 you are going to see new signs on our store shelves with locations and information for all of the dog and cat food we carry. If we don’t have the food you are looking for you may want to ask us WHY? We have decided that we need to set a priority to provide your pets with the best local items available. The act of buying local and Canadian has too many positives to mention, but we want you to know that we have decided to be an active participant in the ripple effect of prosperity for our community and thus our country.
- SUPPORT REAL PEOPLE: We have decided that there are enough stores supporting the large multinational corporations. We have set a priority to support the small and independent businesses that make our economy diverse and exciting. In 2013 you will see many new products that are made by small manufacturers and artisans. We will also be highlighting our favourite small businesses monthly and allowing you the opportunity to meet the fantastic people and discover the human history behind the brands you purchase.
- HEALTHY & HAPPY PETS ARE OUR #1 PRIORITY: We care about your four legged friends and we want our store (and our biscuit company) to be your trusted source for information and health. We welcome all of your questions and we promise not to judge. In the future we hope to offer you opportunities to come in and speak to experts and learn more about health and nutrition. We want you to know that even if you are not a customer you are more than welcome to stop by and speak with us about your food or product concerns. Our doors are always open to new friends and we promise to listen and help you find solutions that improve your pet’s health and happiness.
- WE EMBRACE THE FAMILY APPROACH TO CUSTOMER SERVICE: If you want to be treated like a member of a big (and sometime crazy) pet family than this is the store for you! Amelia Biscuit Company is a unique shopping experience; we remember names, we love to chat, and we listen to you when you need assistance or a change. We might not have the long retail hours of the big box store or the massive square footage, but I promise you that we are far more entertaining than our competition. In fact, some days we are convinced that the biscuit world we have created could be the basis for a great reality tv show;)
- EMBRACE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILTY: We will always be honest with you, we will prioritize good health and service, and we will continue to support rescues and charitable organizations that work to improve the happiness of both people and pets. We take our social responsibility seriously and we know that one single act of kindness has an immeasurable positive impact on our world.
WE WANT YOU! ….JOIN THE AMELIA BISCUIT ARMY!
Join us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/AmeliaBiscuit or try the old-fashioned way and come and visit us in person at our Paris Ontario store!
If you have canine friends on your Christmas list you will want to take a look at my 2012 Christmas gift suggestions. I am hoping this beams all the way to Santa and brings me a few interesting and lovely items on Christmas morning;) I’ve been looking at several of these items for a few months and I will even admit to trying to steal a few from our Paris retail store floor. Yes, I am a bit of a thief but I am working really hard on my vices- it’s just sometimes I really can’t help myself. I can’t stress enough that any gift on this list will be well received by dogs everywhere!!! Happy Christmas everyone!!! xo Rosie Bird
As some of you may already know Amelia Biscuit Company is celebrating a decade of dog biscuit baking in 2013. As part of this monumental achievement the founders of Amelia Biscuit Company (including Amelia Mildred Murray) have decided to spend their decade year giving back to canines in rescue. Amelia is a true adoption success story and to say she has a unique and inspiring personality is an understatement! Amelia Mildred Murray, a chow shepherd cross with an appetite for perfection, is a true phoenix as she has risen from adversity to achieve what I would consider to be canine greatness. Amelia Mildred Murray, our Chief Executive Canine Officer, is the absolute ruling power of her biscuit empire and she is never afraid to bark back when we aren’t going in the right direction. Amelia has changed the lives of every human and canine she has met (including mine) and I think it is safe to say that she has also changed the way our country perceives dog treats. In the most loving way possible I would call my good friend Amelia a tyrant for perfection and a true believer that every dog (including those less fortunate) deserves the best treats that mother nature has to offer. Thus, we invite you all to join us on this decade year of bringing joy, hope, and love to dogs just like Amelia. XO Rosie Bird
The winners of the 2012 Rosie Awards are:
Fabulous Chew- This & That Canine Co.
Best in the Bowl- Melissa’s Aloe
Go Green!- Earth Pawz
Best in Business- Defining Moments
Best Friend- Pooka & Tupper
Thank you to these great Canadian businesses for creating products that we can all be proud to support!!
The 9th anniversary of Amelia Biscuit Company is quickly approaching and the official celebration will be held at this years Petoberfest on October 20, 2012. I thought you might all enjoy a little background information on the history of Treaty Bites. It’s been a long road, but I think we are well on our way to a most excellent biography.
The nominations for the first ever Rosie Awards are coming into my little office faster than I can type about each wonderful product- I only have paws you know, and I’m really not that coordinated with them. As it turns out this great country is full of talented Canadians that have tackled the pet frontier and developed products we can all be proud to support. In an effort to bring you what I think makes Canada wonderful for dogs I solemnly promise to chew, lick, bite, taste, dress up, look pretty, and drive right into this Canadian challenge. I will not waiver or disappoint you! I guarantee you that only the best this nation has to offer will be given the Rosie Award stamp of approval. So… I am off now to start my journey as a critic. I will keep you posted on my progress as I work tirelessly to determine the winners for each category. If you have any further nominatations to share with me please email me at: email@example.com
I know that many of you are eager to hear the current category nominations so here it goes…
- Fabulous Chew: This & That Canine Co, Bullwrinkles, Rollover Stuffed Bone
- Best Dressed: Eco Pup, Hartman & Rose
- Best In The Bowl: Melissa’s Aloe, Petcurean
- Go! Green: Eco Pup, Earthpawz
- Best In Business: Defining Moments, Melissa’s Aloe, This & That Canine Co, Earthpawz
It is Monday, and I actually have exciting news regarding another nomination for the Rosie Awards. Defining Moments, owned and operated by Olga Loeffen, has been nominated for the catagory of “Best in Business.” Olga Loeffen is the creative energy and talent behind a line of greeting cards designed for Amelia Biscuit Company. These wonderful greeting cards are environmentally friendly, printed in Canada with vegetable ink, and feature beautiful Canadian dogs (yes… i am one of the models!). Olga Loeffen, and her Port Colborne based company Defining Moments, are quickly becoming known among the consumer and business world. Although Olga’s roots are in the design of personal stationery, over the last 9 years she has been blossoming into a great creative resource for business clients. Best of luck Olga, and thank you so much for making me look so good on my cards;) XO Ro